This is a great idea...
The Athens Area Humane Society Food Bowl is a program designed to provide free pet food to individuals who could not otherwise afford to feed their pets.
Due to the current economic situation, many households are struggling to feed themselves, let alone their pets. Shelters are seeing an increase in owner surrenders due to financial hardship, and the Athens Area Humane Society feels
it is our duty to help. As a result, we have established a pet soup kitchen called The Food Bowl where pets in need can receive free food so their owners do not have to make the hard choice of surrendering them. If you would like to help
keep animals with their families, please consider donating a bag of dog or cat food today.
NEED PET FOOD?
New 2010 guidelines:
AAHS is currently requiring 2 hours of volunteer time (at our facility) before you are allowed free food.
To volunteer, you must call the shelter or clinic during open hours. If volunteer opportunities are available, we will tell you to come in and start your hours. You will be able to receive your food on the day you finish your volunteer work. Volunteer opportunities are available all month long.
Call 706-353-2287 ext. 2 for spay/neuter volunteering or ext. 3 for shelter volunteer opportunities.
1. We will only provide food for up to TWO pets.
2. All animals must be current on their rabies vaccinations. There will be a one-month grace period where you will be able to receive food while working towards getting your animals current.
2a. AAHS offers $5.00 rabies vaccinations at our pet care clinics. Visit www.athenshumanesociety.org and click on Services, then Pet Care Clinics for dates, time, and location.
3. All animals must be spayed or neutered. There will be a three-month grace period where you will be able to receive food while working towards getting your animal spayed or neutered. However, you may not breed your animal during this
3a. Our spay/neuter clinic offers low cost high quality spay/neuter services. However, if you are still unable to afford this surgery, please ask one of our volunteers for assistance when you pick up food for the first time.
4. You must bring your Driver’s License or another photo ID at the time you receive food.
5. You may only pick up food once per month and you will be given one-month worth of food.
6. You will be able to complete our application at the time you pick up your food.
7. Remember: First come first serve, and food is only available while supplies last.
WANT TO HELP?
Due to the high demand for food, we are in need of donations. This program is only possible with the support of our generous donors. Please see the following drop-off locations below:
Athens Area Humane Society—1781 Mars Hill Road, Watkinsville GA—706-353-2287
Pet Supplies Plus (AAHS adoption center)—191 Alps Road, Suite 15, Athens,
Mama Sids Pizza—2240 Barnett Shoals Rd, Athens, GA—706-549-6100
Storage Mart—251 Collins Industrial Blvd, Athens, GA—706-548-2611
Are you interested in being a pet food drop-off point?
We cannot help the needs of our community by ourselves. We need more pet food drop-off sites. If you have a business or know of one, they can be a drop-off point. We need your help!
For more information, or to join our program, please call 706-353-2287 or email us at email@example.com. If you would like a flyer for the program, please
contact Holly at firstname.lastname@example.org.